Keep Writing

Keep Writing
Slice of Life

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Confessions of a Binger

I have a binging personality. I can get a bit obsessive about things for small amounts of time and when I have had enough, I move on to something else. I have always been this way. Many of my binges return which is always welcome because I miss them. This is how I write, read, eat, clean, play sports, and do hobbies. It is also why I love being a teacher...I  binge on different areas of the curriculum. This personality quirk has landed me the following jobs over 35 years: kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade, Title One, special education, and technology integration teacher. Oh yeah, I forgot adult ed, college instructor and trainer for the Department of Defense one summer as well. You see when I am focused, I am hyper-focused.

Wondering where this is leading?

Current food binge...roasted brussel sprouts with honey and mustard sauce. I can eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I have even just had them for a snack. I love the charred outsides and the crunch that is still left if I don't over roast them. I love the bitter taste with the sweet kick of the sauce. It is the opposite effect and right now I just can't get enough!

Current hobby...making my own cleaning products. I ran into this website http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/category/homemade-solution/cleaning
while cruising through Facebook. I started reading and I just couldn't stop. Many of the ingredients the author uses were in my cupboards so I started experimenting. To date, I have made liquid laundry soap, tab laundry soap, fabric softener, dryer sheets, spray stain remover for clothes, dishwasher tabs, and taken stains out of a bedroom carpet (using ammonia, a white towel, and an iron). I would like to think that saving money and knowing what is in my products is what is motivating me but I know that is not true. I am a science junky from time to time and this is my inner kitchen chemist getting her fix.

I think my husband is hoping these current obsessions leave sooner rather than later and do not make another appearance in the future. He has not liked all of my cleaning products and really does not like brussel sprouts! I often share with people I am a Jane of all trades and a master of none. I just cannot focus on one thing, one grade level, one genre, one subject area, one sport, for any length of time before I need to sample something else. Perhaps that is what helps me enjoy my life so much...I never know what new experience lurks around the corner.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, dear. I know what you mean. I thought I had ADD. Maybe it's just BD (binge disorder). I made one mitten once. I guess I just needed know I could do it. Then I was on to something else.
    So keep binging! It leads to so many great experiences!

    ReplyDelete